Monday, May 6, 2013

What is your collecting style?


Some collectors start with one item that just appeals to them, in a happy way, and they buy it on the spot. If they just have to have more of the same, they slowly gather the knowledge about their collection over time. Others are more cautious collectors and they study the items to learn
all they can about their history and values, so they don't make many mistakes along the way.
 And others start with a gifted or purchased collection that someone else collected and passed on.
 There are a lot of psychological explanations of why we collect but, wow, that's too heavy
 for this collector. I think "to each, his own". Seems to me everyone collects, whether
 it is a 100 year or older antique, a childhood collectible or new shoes or ties.
 
 
What interests you? That is the best place to start a collection. I've changed my collections over the years as my interests and resources have changed. Do you like sports and it's memorabilia,
 cooking and all things kitchen, travel, places you have loved and want to bring it's essence into
your home decor? How does your Grandma's china inspire you or your Grandpa's plaid thermos?
Holidays have always brought me great joy, the decorations, china, family and even gifts.
They stir warm nostalgic feelings deep in my spirit and I love to collect those kind
of things.  Most of my collections are built around fabulous memories.
 
 
Whatever makes you feel that thrill of the find, long after you leave the shop
or flea market, go forward and collect!
Happy Holidays,
Melin

No comments:

Post a Comment