Thursday, September 15, 2011

Milk Glass

This is a picture of part of my milk glass collection. These are the pieces I use often, or at least when I entertain. I love that we put a glass door on this cupboard, so I can see it anytime I am in the kitchen. Just seeing the gleaming white brings me joy!
I collect milk glass because it reminds me of my Granny. She had several pieces that she displayed and used for special occasions. She never would think to amass a large collection like I have. In her day, people just weren't that indulgent. I was passed on a piece or two from her collection and a few from my mom's and some friends, as well. These are extra special to me.
I love the curvy and lacy edges on some of the pieces and I love the hob-nail, you know, the ones with bumps. My favorite piece is a small vase that is hob-nail and shaped kind of like a V with a ruffly top...perfection! I like this one so much that I actually have seven of them. I will have a party one day and will place one at each place-setting with flowers. You can see these pictured on the bottom shelf nestled under the cake plate stack in the middle.
I think we collect to bring back warm memories of our past. This is so true of my milk glass collection. I love that I can use it year round and think of my Granny!
Please share with us about one of your collections and who or what inspired it in the comment section below.
Melin

No comments:

Post a Comment