Saturday, August 27, 2011

Collections


Merriam-Webster.com defines collection as something collected; especially an accumulation of objects gathered for study, comparison or exhibition.
I love to collect! I am surprised there is no mention of the pure pleasure in collecting. I was born into a family of collectors and started collecting when I was very young. First were figurines from Japan from my Granny, then rocks and next everything Barbie. I still have most all of my Barbie stuff and one day, I'll display my favorite retro Barbie treasures. I tease my husband that I will do a whole room in Barbie.
Many of my collections (yes, I have many) are nostalgic for me in some way. They say we buy things from our past to nourish favorite memories and I do just that.
I love that you can begin a collection display by just putting together items that are similar...in color, theme (like holidays or seasons) or by what they are made of. The photo above shows a variety of goodies from my shop that are in the same color family and have a birdie theme too.
What do you collect? Tell us where you find them and how your collection moves you. I would love for you to share your treasures and ideas.
Melin

2 comments:

  1. Collections? Yes, I have several. Tins, Santas, bunny rabbits, miniatures, antique or "antique look" laundry items, etc. My favorite one, or maybe my favorite two, are the tins and the Santas. Because I travel a lot, I am able to pick things up in a lot of different places. I always look for something unusual. The hunt is always a lot of fun, especially when done with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the thrill of the hunt as much as actually owning the treasure, isn't it?
    That special find brings such joy!

    ReplyDelete