Thursday, June 7, 2012

Patriotic Holiday Decorating

I love the Patriotic holidays! You know, it starts with Memorial Day, the official start of summer, then comes the Fourth of July and finishes nicely with Labor Day, the official end of summer. I used to just bring out all my red, white and blue for the Fourth. Now I realize I missed a great opportunity to enjoy the pomp and circumstance longer. If I decorate for Memorial Day and leave it up through the Fourth, at least.
I hang my big flag out front. Remember, I live where it snows in June. It just did, in fact, a few days ago. I wish I could let it fly all year long but it does bring a smile during these precious summer months. I also put little flags in my newly planted porch planters and also red, white & blue pin-wheels, for fun. It doesn't cost much to just add a few patriotic touches to your home.
Inside, I hang plaques, plates, garlands, stars, ornaments and place figures all around my home. It just makes me feel good to see the glory of my country all around me. I think too of those that fight for our freedom, including the families that are apart while we enjoy our barbeques and fireworks. We are desendants of Francis Scott Key, so I love things with the Star Spangeled Banner on them.
You will find goodies on my website, at Target, Dollar Tree, flea markets and the like, especially this time of year. I keep my eyes peeled year round for special treasures. 
So, go buy a package of small flags and see where you can put them around your home. They will lighten your heart.
Melin

No comments:

Post a Comment